This year the majority of our P4 students were tested for the oral component in their SA1 Examinations. This was a good opportunity for us to introduce and practice the TREES approach. This is the approach that we use for all levels and I really find this approach beneficial for the students. Looking at my P6 students this year, those who scored within the range of 27 to the full mark range for their SA1 oral, are mostly those who have been with us since their P4 year and have been consistently using this approach for every Oral examination.
Our P4 students have kindly compiled the list of the oral themes that their schools tested them on for this SA1.
Almost all the themes were based on posters showing different activities, games, events, or sports. The students then had to make a choice between the activities for the first question, followed by other questions based on personal interest and family.
These questions came as no surprise to my students as they were tested on SBC based on these types of questioning during their English classes at our centre. We also added in some more challenging posters and themes sometimes to get to them to formulate more opinions and suggestions.
If you would like to help your child with the oral component at home, please find the compiled list of themes and questions below.
Theme – Studying
Different classes such as drama & writing
- Look at the pictures. Which class would you attend? Why?
- Do you prefer studying in school or at home?
- Do you prefer studying indoors or outdoors?
Theme – Family (Theme of 2 schools)
Different activities such as watching a movie, outdoor activities, board games
- Look at the pictures. Which activity would you do with your family and why?
- Do you prefer playing outdoor or indoors? Why?
- What do you usually do with your family during weekends?
- Do you want to spend more time with your family?
- What do you do when you spend time with your family?
Theme – Activities/CCA (Theme of 2 schools)
Different activities such as going to a museum, music class, pitching a tent
- Which activity do you want to take part in?
- Why do you want to take part in this activity?
- Which CCA, not in your school, would you like to take part in?
Theme – Activities/CCA
Different activities such as soccer, running, hiking, cycling
- Which activity would you like to take part in?
- What is your current CCA?
- Do you think that outdoor activities is good?
- Theme – Sports (Theme of 2 schools)
Different sports such as badminton, basketball, soccer
- Which sport would you like to try?
- Have you ever participated in a competition/event? Tell me about it
- Can you tell me what values must we have when we are playing sports? Why?
A bag with healthy chicken pie
- Would you buy this pie?
- Do you eat healthily?
- Do you think other children will buy this pie?
Check the other articles from this section
P4 English tuition 2022 timetable
|Branch||Day||Start time||End time|
|Bukit Timah||WED||5 pm||7 pm|
|Bukit Timah||SUN||12 pm||2 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||WED||3 pm||5 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||SAT||9 am||11 am|
|Virtual branch||SAT||1 pm||3 pm|