As students gear up towards the end of the year slew of exams, the first and (probably the one with the least amount of practice) they will have, will be the English Oral component. In Primary 5, this component now consists of 30 marks, a jump from 16 marks in P4. It can be a great way to add on to your total mark. On the flip side, it can also be a way to jeopardise your English target grade, especially for next year’s new PSLE marking scheme.
To prepare for this component, we test our students individually in class (during the time that they write out their compositions) and also together as a class so that they can hear other responses from their classmates. Students follow the TREES approach as a guideline. Adding in their own humour and style are welcomed!
At home, parents can help their children by getting to read up on certain themes or even testing them at home like in an examination.
To give parents a better idea on what to work on with their children, below is the list of SBC themes that the Primary 6 2020 at our centre worked on.
I usually categorise the main topics under:
- Personal/Responsibility & Family
- Health (Food)
The questions and themes are taken from past year’s SA1 and Preliminary Oral examinations from my students’ different schools.
Below is the list of themes that I worked on with my PSLE 2020 students throughout the year to prepare them for their PSLE Oral. We were lucky this year as the theme of performance appeared on Day 2 of the PSLE oral examination.
The oral posters and questions I create change year by year to mirror new content and current events.
I hope that the list can guide parents who are helping their P5 students at home with this component.
2020 List of 27 SBC Themes categorised by topic
1. Gadget Addiction
2. Cyber Bullying
3. Lost & Found
4. Public Transport
5. Free Pet Shop
Personal & Family
6. Children’s carnival
7. Birthday Parties
Personal & Family
11. Outdoor movie night
12. Community Club
17. Annual Sports Day
20. Water conservation
21. Book Donation
23. Charity Event
24. Healthy cookies
25. Supplements and vitamins
Check the other articles from this section
- Primary 5 English SA2 Oral model: Toys
- Unpacking the PSLE Oral & P5 Oral – Recycling
- Stimulus-based conversation practice on the theme of magazines
- P5 and P6 English Saving Oral model
- List of SA2 Oral Topics – P5 2016
- Primary 5 Oral Preliminary Questions 2017
- Stimulus-based Conversation TREES approach
- P5 English Oral model A Competition
- Stimulus Based Conversation Travel P5
- Types of questions for Primary 5 & 6 Stimulus-Based Conversation
- P5 Stimulus-Based Conversations Health & Chores
- A Birthday Party Stimulus-Based Conversation
- Stimulus-Based Conversation model on Performances
- P5 Oral Annual Science Fair
- Primary 5 English Oral Key questions
- P5 English Oral model Recycling
- P5 Stimulus-Based Conversation Theme Responsible park user
- P5 Stimulus-based Conversation Themes to practice at home
- P5 English Oral Model Crime
- P5/P6 Stimulus-based conversation – article on global warming
Don’t Miss Any Future Post!
2024 P5 English Tuition Timetable
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||MON||3 pm to 5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||WED||5.45 pm to 7.45 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||SAT||11 am to 1pm|
|Bukit Timah||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||TUE||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||9 am to 11 am|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||11.30 am to 1.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||SUN||12 pm to 2 pm|
|Virtual branch (100% online live tuition)||All Components Class||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|