As the dates of the Prelims and PSLE loom closer, I am re-posting the list of Commonly Misspelled Words here. Some children are great at spelling! Others..not so good. Here is a list of commonly misspelled words. Spelling is highly important when a child reaches Primary 5.
This is because components such as Editing and Comprehension Cloze rely heavily on how well a student is able to spell a word. For example, the student may know the answer in the cloze but unfortunately spells it wrong. This is considered as completely wrong and the full mark subtracted off (yes, there is no such thing as a sympathy mark).
The same for Composition. A student may have good ideas and is descriptive in her writing. However, if the compo is peppered with spelling mistakes, a lot of marks will be subtracted off from Language.
Of course, now the new format Paper 2, the Spelling & Editing section is out of 12 marks instead of 10. It is tricky enough for a student to identify if the underlined word is a spelling or grammatical error. Better to be armed with a list of words that comes out often in this section.
Thus, I have compiled a list of commonly misspelled words. This list is of course, incomplete. Every time your child makes an error in spelling, add on the word to the list and memorize it.
Test your children before the Prelims. For Primary 5 students, learn all the 60 odd words by heart now and for the P6 students make sure that they are firmly committed to your memory! These words may seem easy when you scan through them but believe me even my A* & GEP students make mistakes in this area.
This has been given to all my regular students. For other parents, I am unsure if you are able to copy and paste these words from my blog.
P6 Commonly Misspelled Words
Check the other articles from this section
- How to ace the Cloze passage in P5
- Tips on Informal Situational Writing – P5
- Common grammar mistakes series: subject-verb-agreement
- A number vs the number grammar rule
- English SA2 Revision: Ways to Tackle Comprehension OE
- How to manage tricky subject-verb-agreement questions in Primary 5?
- 2023 P5 Editing List & PSLE Editing List
- P5 Key Grammatical Structures
- Three tips to help P5 students prepare for the English Paper 2 component
- P5 CA1 Vocabulary List 2016
- P5 CA1 Editing List 2016
- P5 Top School SA1 Editing List 2015
- Primary 5 Vocabulary List
- Primary 5 Editing (Spelling) List
- Primary 5 English Grammar Subject-verb-agreement
- Advice on how to prepare for the English Language Paper 2 in the Primary 5 year
- P5 English vocabulary & editing list
- Tips on Comprehension Cloze Passages for P5
Don’t Miss Any Future Post!
2024 P5 English Tuition Timetable
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||MON||3 pm to 5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||WED||5.45 pm to 7.45 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||SAT - FULL||11 am to 1pm|
|Bukit Timah||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||TUE||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT - FULL||9 am to 11 am|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||11.30 am to 1.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||SUN||12 pm to 2 pm|
|Virtual branch (100% online live tuition)||All Components Class||FRI||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|