Situational Writing (SW) is the shortest piece of writing in the writing component and has a weightage of 15 marks. It is also the easier of the two (the other writing piece being Composition) to master, especially informal SW.
At Thinking Factory, we work on SW twice a month – an informal and formal SW.
Regular writing practice is an important part of examination preparation, especially for the PSLE year.
If you would like to have more practice, come join us for our regular P5 classes.
Below are a few tips to help you master you informal SW.
Informal Situational Writing tips
1. Read the Task section carefully
- Take note of the Purpose. Audience, Context. The points are clearly found in the Task section of every Situational writing question.
- Highlight all the points needed for your SW. Don’t miss out on any.
- The purpose of every SW is important.
- It should be mentioned at the start and at the end of your SW
3. Purpose in an Informal SW
- Keep an informal tone in your SW.
- You may start by an informal greeting. How are you? I hope that you are doing fine since we last spoke!
- Instead of saying ‘I am writing to..’, try phrasing the Purpose in a question form ‘Would you like to…?”
- Remember to bring the purpose back with an informal tone at the end of the SW ‘Have I convinced you to join me?’ ‘I really hope that you will…’
4. Sign off
- Regards, Love, or even Cheers (if the school accepts this) are all acceptable ways to sign off for an informal SW.
- Do not use a full name when it is an informal SW. Sign off with a first name found in the Task.
Check the other articles from this section
- Tips on Comprehension Cloze Passages for P5
- How to ace the Cloze passage in P5
- English SA2 Revision: Ways to Tackle Comprehension OE
- Common Grammar Mistakes Series: ‘A number’ vs ‘The number’
- Common grammar mistakes series: subject-verb-agreement
- Advice on how to prepare for the English Language Paper 2 in the Primary 5 year
- Primary 5 English Grammar Subject-verb-agreement
- P5 English vocabulary & editing list
- P5 CA1 Vocabulary List 2016
- P5 CA1 Editing List 2016
- P5 Top School SA1 Editing List 2015
- Primary 5 Editing (Spelling) List
- Primary 5 Vocabulary List
- P5 & P6 Commonly Misspelled Words
P5 English tuition 2022 timetable
|Location||Day||Start time||End time|
|Bukit Timah||Tuesday||3 pm||5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||Tuesday||5 pm||7 pm|
|Bukit Timah||Thursday||3 pm||5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||Sunday||2 pm||4 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Wednesday||5 pm||7 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Friday||3 pm||5 pm|