Who vs Whom is another confounding grammatical rule. To help understand how we can use ‘who’ and ‘whom’ correctly, here are 3 simple rules.
Subject vs Object
‘Who’ is used to refer to a subject in a sentence
The Subject in the sentence is a ‘Do-er’.
Whom is used to refer to an object in a sentence
Object in the sentence is a “Receiver’ of the action.
The teacher reprimanded the boy after school. The teacher is the subject (do-er) and the boy is the object (receiver).
The boy (object) is the receiver of the reprimand so we use ‘whom’.
The teacher (subject) is reprimanding the boy so we use ‘who’.
Look at the word after the blank
If the word is a verb, usually we use ‘who’.
If the word after the blank is a pronoun, usually we use ‘whom’
Whom is used after a preposition
Check the other articles from this section
- Vocabulary List Preliminary Top School Papers 2015
- 4 Steps to ace your Active and Passive questions in Synthesis & Transformation
- List of Editing Spelling words PSLE 2017-2020
- Primary 6 English Vocabulary and Editing List 2019
- P6 List of Vocabulary words taken from the Top School CA1 papers 2018
- 2017 Preliminary Top School Papers: Vocabulary & Editing
- P6 CA1 Vocabulary and Editing List 2017
- P6 SA1 Editing List 2016 – Part 1
- Primary 6 CA1 Vocabulary List 2016 (Part 2)
- P6 CA1 Vocabulary List 2016 (Part 1)
- Editing List CA1 P6 Top School 2016 Papers
- P6 Top School SA1 Vocabulary List 2016
- P6 Top School SA1 Editing List 2015
- PSLE 2021 Editing Component – Three Ways to help your child succeed in this component
- P6 Editing Spelling CA1 2015
- Primary 6 Vocabulary List
- P6 Paper 2 Grammatical Rules
- Synthesis and Transformation – PSLE 2020
- P6 English Paper 2 components – Contractions in Question Tags and Synthesis & Transformation
- P6 English Paper 2: Phrasal Verbs & Commonly misspelled words
- Primary 6 English Comprehension Cloze Passage
P6 English tuition 2022 timetable
|Branch||Day||Start time||End time|
|Bukit Timah||THU - FULL||5 pm||7 pm|
|Bukit Timah||SAT - FULL||9 am||11 am|
|Bukit Timah||SAT - FULL||11 am||1 pm|
|Bukit Timah||SAT - FULL||1.30 pm||3.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||FRI - FULL||5 pm||7 pm|