Have you been told by your teacher the importance of reading your essay question carefully and analyzing it before diving into writing it? Here are the common genres of English essay writing in secondary School and some tips to analyze the essay questions.
4 common genres of essay writing
There are 4 common genres of essay writing in secondary school:
- personal recount
- hybrid (combination of 2 genres)
It is important to identify the type of genre and key points of the essay question.
At our centre, making sure that students take time to reflect and plan is an important part of our weekly writing in our lower secondary class.
How to analyse the essay questions ?
In this first video of our Writing Series 1, Teacher Rachael will show you how to analyse essay questions based on the 4 genres of writing above.
Check the other articles from this section
- Tackling the Situational Essay: Using persuasive speech techniques
- How to write a good Situational Essay: Analyse, Amplify and Apply the appropriate tone
- Narrative Writing: Tips and Tricks
- Taking the Leap from Primary to Secondary English with Confidence!
- Secondary English Paper 1 components: Diagnosing your strengths and weaknesses
- Lower secondary writing Series 1 – E05: Avoiding writing pitfalls
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E04: Hybrid writing
- 3 tips for tackling the summary Question
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E03: Expository writing
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E02: Narrative writing practice
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E02: Narrative writing (or how to write good essays)
- Discursive essay: Writing a well-developed body Paragraph
- Secondary 1 English: An introduction on how to create interesting characters
- Secondary 2 English – Editing through clue-finding
- A Sneak Preview of the Secondary English Writing in the Sec 2 class
- From primary to secondary English: What’s new and challenging?
- Sec 2: 5 tips to help you write great English expository essays by Teacher Rachael
- Tackling the Situational Essay (Part 3): Making Your Feature Article an Engaging Read
- Post-Exam Reality Check in 3Rs
2023 Bukit Timah Branch Secondary English tuition timetable
|Level||Day||Start time||End time|
|S1||SAT||2.00 pm||4.00 pm|
|S2||SAT||4.30 pm||6.30 pm|
|S3||SAT||6.30 pm||8.30 pm|