Hybrid writing technique
In this lesson 4, the learning objectives are:
1. Be familiar with the structure of a hybrid essay
2. Know how to signpost your essay to show you have addressed both genres
What is a hybrid essay?
It refers to combination of 2 genres of writing in 1 essay.
What are the two types of hybrid essay?
Descriptive and reflective (expository)
- Describe some school-wide events that are held in your school. What are some lessons you can learn from them?
- Describe your experience of working with others. How has it helped develop you as an individual and team player?
Personal recount and reflective (expository)
- Write about a conflict you had with a close friend or loved one. What are some lessons you learnt from the experience?
- Write about a time someone inspired you to be courageous. In what ways did this experience grow you as an individual?
How do you organise/structure a hybrid essay?
|BP1: Describe & Reflect|
|BP2: describe & Reflect|
|BP3: Describe & Reflect|
Detailed explanation & hybrid essay example
In the video below, Teacher Rachael gives more details about this technique and shows an hybrid essay example (Option A).
Hybrid writing assignment
If you would like more practice on narrative writing, download the assignment below.
Check the other articles from this section
- Tackling the Situational Essay: Using persuasive speech techniques
- How to write a good Situational Essay: Analyse, Amplify and Apply the appropriate tone
- Narrative Writing: Tips and Tricks
- Taking the Leap from Primary to Secondary English with Confidence!
- Secondary English Paper 1 components: Diagnosing your strengths and weaknesses
- Lower secondary writing Series 1 – E05: Avoiding writing pitfalls
- 3 tips for tackling the summary Question
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E03: Expository writing
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E02: Narrative writing practice
- Lower secondary Writing Series 1 – E02: Narrative writing
- Lower secondary Writing Series1 – E01: How to analyse essay questions
- Discursive essay: Writing a well-developed body Paragraph
- Secondary 1 English: An introduction on how to create interesting characters
- Secondary 2 English – Editing through clue-finding
- A Sneak Preview of English Writing in the Secondary 2 class
- Sec 2: 5 tips to help you write great English expository essays by Teacher Rachael
- Tackling the Situational Essay (Part 3): Making Your Feature Article an Engaging Read
- Post-Exam Reality Check in 3Rs
Check the 2022 timetable