Do you wonder why we sometimes use a singular verb for ‘number’ and sometimes a plural verb? If you do wonder, this is the grammatical rule for ‘a number’ and ‘the number’.
A number vs The number Grammar rule
The expression the number is followed by a singular verb while the expression a number is followed by a plural verb.
The number of people we need is 10. (The number = singular verb)
A number of people have written in about this subject. (A number = plural verb)
The number of people lined up for tickets was four hundred. (The number = singular verb)
A number of suggestions were made. (A number = plural verb)
If you would like to learn about more grammatical rules, come join us for our weekly P3 – P5 classes via zoom or at the centre!
Check the other articles from this section
- How to ace the Cloze passage in P5
- Tips on Informal Situational Writing – P5
- Common grammar mistakes series: subject-verb-agreement
- English SA2 Revision: Ways to Tackle Comprehension OE
- How to manage tricky subject-verb-agreement questions in Primary 5?
- 2023 P5 Editing List & PSLE Editing List
- P5 Key Grammatical Structures
- Three tips to help P5 students prepare for the English Paper 2 component
- P5 CA1 Vocabulary List 2016
- P5 CA1 Editing List 2016
- P5 Top School SA1 Editing List 2015
- Primary 5 Vocabulary List
- Primary 5 Editing (Spelling) List
- P5 & P6 Commonly Misspelled Words
- Primary 5 English Grammar Subject-verb-agreement
- Advice on how to prepare for the English Language Paper 2 in the Primary 5 year
- P5 English vocabulary & editing list
- Tips on Comprehension Cloze Passages for P5
Don’t Miss Any Future Post!
2024 P5 English Tuition Timetable
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||MON||3 pm to 5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||WED||5.45 pm to 7.45 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||SAT||11 am to 1pm|
|Bukit Timah||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||TUE||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||9 am to 11 am|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||11.30 am to 1.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||SUN||12 pm to 2 pm|
|Virtual branch (100% online live tuition)||All Components Class||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|