Today, I will bid farewell to the last class of my 2020 P6 students. Like every year, it will take me some time to get used to not seeing them on a weekly basis. At the same time I feel excited for them as they take the first step towards another educational journey next year!
This week we worked on revision of Paper 2 components and planning out our 2020 Prelim composition themes. We also discussed the important reminders for the Paper 1 components (SW & Compo).
So, here are 3 important reminders for tomorrow’s PSLE English Paper 1.
What is the theme of your story?
- Study the theme carefully before planning.
- Ensure that you understand the theme fully before planning out your plot
- Example: The theme is on A Good Deed.
Returning a wallet is not a good deed. It is being honest
How can I use the theme?
- Through dialogue
- Through protagonist’s personal thoughts
- Through description
- Through reflection at the end of the story
2. Don’t flip the theme
Being Honest, Being Responsible, Being Patient, Being Considerate
For themes like the ones above, it is easier for students to write the opposite of what is being asked. Do not write about being dishonest or being impatient or being irresponsible. While it is more difficult to write about being ‘good’ than being ‘bad’, students may lose marks if they do not follow the theme.
While the protagonist may have some personal thoughts about being dishonest, impatient or inconsiderate, it should just be a short part of your composition. The main story should be about being honest, patient or considerate.
When it comes to characters in your story, the rule is the fewer the better! The best would be just the protagonist and one more character. There is no reason to add in 3-4 characters, all with different names.
Students have around 50 minutes to actually write out the composition. Having two strong characters in your composition is enough.
Write a few descriptive lines about each character. It can be their :
External descriptions – Hawker Tan looked old and frail today. Her usual bright smile on her face was replaced with overwhelming fatigue.
Internal descriptions – Lazy. That used to be me. I would rather spend my time being a couch potato than do an ounce of homework
I hope that those 3 reminders will come in handy for tomorrow’s English paper. I wish everyone all the best for the PSLE! 🙂
Check the other articles from this section
- SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2021
- P6 Situational Writing
- P6 2021 SA1 List of Composition Themes
- List of 2021 Preliminary Composition Themes
- Phrases to describe pride and embarrassment
- List of P6 2020 English composition Preliminary Themes
- List of 2018 PSLE Compo themes
- P6 Writing: City Underground & SOTA Primary 6 Creative Writing Competition 2020
- PSLE English 2022 Paper 1: Check what AL1 and AL2 English scorers wrote about
- P6 Model composition – A Dangerous situation
- PSLE English Composition Theme – A Considerate Act
- P6 English Composition model: Being punished
- P6 English: An unforgettable event composition
- Primary 6 English Composition: A Changed Behaviour & PSLE 2019 results
- P6 Composition An Adventure
- 2019 Preliminary Composition Themes
- P6 English Composition A Secret
- P6 SA1 Composition Themes 2019
- P6 Composition model on Achieving a goal & how to score well
- PSLE 2022 Paper 1 : Unpacking the Situational Writing Component
- PSLE Composition Theme An Unusual Incident
- P6 English Composition model An Unwelcomed Guest
- P6 Composition A Memorable Occasion & taking risks in plots
- P6 SA1 2018 List of Composition Themes
- P6 Composition Theme Something Unexpected that Happened to You
- Primary 6 Composition A dangerous situation
- PSLE Composition A Crime you were involved in
- P6 English Composition: 3 ways to help students score above 33 for their examinations
- PSLE English Composition tips: Two ways to plot ‘An unexpected discovery’ & model composition
- 2022 English Prelim and Composition Model – A change in attitude
- List of 2022 Preliminary Themes
- P6 Composition Being Late
2023 P6 English tuition timetable
|Branch||Day||Start time||End time|
|Bukit Timah - FULL||TUE||3 pm||5 pm|
|Bukit Timah - FULL||TUE||5 pm||7 pm|
|Bukit Timah||THU||5 pm||7 pm|
|Bukit Timah||SAT||9 am||11 am|
|Bukit Timah||SAT||11 am||1 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||FRI||3 pm||5 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||FRI||5 pm||7 pm|