Its been a while since I’ve done a post on Composition for P5 or even P3 & P4! Apologies! I’ve been busy with the Prelims and my video programme.
So, here is one from my P5 student. It is a topic that can get a number of students stumped when they look at the pictures and the theme. It would be easy to narrate what game they had played for fun but instead we decided that we would write from the view points of all the ‘pretend’ characters.
Here is one of my students composition. I found it very charming with a touch of humour. (I have corrected the grammatical mistakes but content has not been touched)
Notice that dialogue is used in the composition but minimally. It is descriptive but more narration in the first person is used.
Write a story on A Fun Day
“Who dares to take my darling princess away?” the King roared. It was Play Pretend day, a day when my friends and I dressed up to be something or someone else. We were playing King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
“Hahaha,” the evil dragon thundered with the princess in his arms as he flapped away. The King asked the Knights of the Round Table to gather and think of a way to save the princess.
“I, Lancelot, Knight of the Round Table will find the evil dragon and slay it,” I pronounced. The other knights applauded me. I was given the best set of armour, weapons and armoured horse in Camelot. The Knights encouraged me to be on guard and look out for any of the dragon’s minions.
I set off to find the princess. It was amazing being the star player. All the attention was on me. The scene and background was changing. I was at the dragon’s castle. I could hear the princess calling for help. I ran to the gates, climbed over it and opened the drawbridge. The castle was feeling very chilly as I began walking. All of a sudden, I heard footsteps coming from my right and my left. I ran straight ahead to where the princess was held captive.
A guard was outside the dungeon, fast asleep. Dangling in his hand was the key. Recalling my moves during karate class, I hit the guard on the shoulder and he fell to the floor instantly. I grabbed the keys and opened the door to the dungeon. Calling out if anyone was there, I saw something emerging from the shadows. The princess hesitated, then giggled and said, “My hero!”.
We quickly climbed down the stairs to the gate where I saw the dragon. “You won’t get away with the princess!” I drew my sword and shouted, “For Camelot!” The battle began. At the last moment, I pretended to poke my sword into the dragon and pulled it out. I had killed the dragon. I got on my horse and asked the princess to hop on behind me.
We were greeted with applause when we entered Camelot. Then the King said, “Lancelot, because of your bravery, you are now promoted to right-hand man at the Round Table!”I felt tremendously happy.
Suddenly, someone from downstairs called out, “Hadden, ask your friends if they want to go swimming.” I looked at my friends and they all nodded. The next thing my mother saw was a blur of figures running down the stairs to the swimming pool. What a fun day!
Check the other articles from this section
- 5 Situational Writing tips for P5 students
- P5 English Composition Protagonist vs Antagonist
- P5 Weighted Assessment Model Compo: Being Responsible
- Tips on preparing Primary 5 students for their PSLE year in Term 4 and model composition being late
- P5 Paper 1 Reminders for SA2 & Prelim composition model
- Three ways to score for your P5 composition & a model on A Surprise
- P5 English Composition Writing: 4 ways to develop the theme when planning in composition writing & A Punishment model
- P5 Characterisation technique & Weighted Assessment Composition – A Competition
- Tips on how to improve your P5 composition writing
- Phrases to create suspense & Model Composition – Upper primary English
- P5 Model Compositions & How we can make the most out of them
- 3 simple writing techniques to make your P5 composition sparkle
- P5 English Paper 1 Reminders & Model Composition – A new friend
- P5 SA2 Composition Theme – An act of honesty
- P5 English Composition Encouraging Someone
- P5 English Composition An Act of Honesty
- English Composition an Unwelcomed Guest P5
- Compiled List of SA1 Composition Topics 2016
- 2016 List of SA2 Composition Topics P5
- Primary 5 Composition A Dangerous Situation
- Comparison of P5 and P6 Composition Writing & How we can help to bridge that gap
- Primary 5 Composition An Adventure & descriptive writing
- How to teach Composition Writing?
- P5 / P6 Composition model A good deed
- Narrative Writing P5 / P6
- How to plan a composition plot? P5
- Words and Phrases for different writing scenarios
- Creative writing & the use of Idioms
- English Composition An Argument P5 & P6
- PSLE English Composition model on the theme of ‘A Mishap’
- Primary 5 Composition Theme Cooking
- English composition Happiness model
- Phrases to create suspense – P5 / P6 Composition Writing
- Compositions Settings
- P5 English Composition model on the theme of ‘A wish that was fulfilled’
- 4 tips to manage composition themes well – P5
- Primary 5 English Comprehension Open-ended
- P5 English Composition A Bad Decision
- P5 Composition A Celebration Gone Wrong
- P5 English Composition : How to score for Paper 1 and model on Trusting Someone
Don’t Miss Any Future Post!
2024 P5 English Tuition Timetable
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||MON||3 pm to 5 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||WED||5.45 pm to 7.45 pm|
|Bukit Timah||All Components Class||SAT - FULL||11 am to 1pm|
|Bukit Timah||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||FRI||5 pm to 7 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||TUE||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT - FULL||9 am to 11 am|
|Hougang Pelikat||All Components Class||SAT||11.30 am to 1.30 pm|
|Hougang Pelikat||Creative Writing Class - Creative Writers||SUN||12 pm to 2 pm|
|Virtual branch (100% online live tuition)||All Components Class||FRI||5.30 pm to 7.30 pm|